Friday, November 7, 2008

The loss of Jordan Fox

I have lots of people ask me, what is the blue light in your car, are you on the fire dept? I am on the Shelby County Rescue Squad. We are called out to wrecks that provide emergency operations. Our job is to free an injured person from a wreck, we sometimes assist the fire dept, or help ambulance personel. I have been a volunteer Rescue worker for about 7 years. I am not sure what brought me to do this? I have always worked around the medical background and a sense of helping people has always been a part of me.

I was called out to a wreck Sat. November 1st. When I arrived, I was faced with a fatality of a young boy that I knew. I was also faced with the mother of this boy being my best friend.

That Saturday morning I watched my friend go through the worst thing she could possibly ever go through in her life time, the loss of her son. That was a day that had an impact on lots of people lives.

I have had so much time to sit and think and watch her pain. I felt a hurt with in myself that I never knew existed. I have experienced the loss of a loved one, I have worked around death, I have seen many car crashes. But I have never experienced watching a friend hurt so much.

I see these young kids going through the hurt and pain and it takes me clear back to my high school days when we lost a classmate. I remember the hurt and pain I had felt like it was yesterday. I often think back to the loss of that friend and the memories I had with him and I always will. I know these children will do the same. Memories are such a great thing to have, with out them, we would have nothing to bring a smile to our face.

We are never promised tomorrow.

To help keep his memory alive, Jordan’s mother and father founded the Jordan Fox Memorial Scholarship Fund. The scholarship will be awarded to a graduating senior in Jordan’s class of 2010.

As a friend of the family and a photographer, I have chosen to contribute to this memorial fund by donating a portion of the proceeds from every senior portrait session booked with me by a student in Jordan’s class. I will donate 25% of the total cost of the session plus an additional $10 in the senior’s name.

In their graduating year, I will provide something special to honor these seniors and the contributions they have made to Jordan’s memorial.