Monday, October 6, 2008

Cracking down for payment.

I hate to have to post something like this on my blog.... I figure most photographers would love to post this.... but just don't feel it is professional to do so. I am just a regular person like everyone else and down to earth enough to just say it on a level everyone can understand. I feel like the only people I would offend for being so outspoken about this would be those who do this and know they do it and don't lose any sleep over it. I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but I do know there are a few people who you just can't deal with when it comes to money. I had first hand experience with an old friend who was terrible to her friends or anyone when it came to money!! So I know there are a few people who just aren't good for their money for what ever reason. I know there are truly honest people who just forget.... but I don't have time to figure out the difference and have to eliminate that headache on my end.

I had a wonderful year for 2008 with photography with out any major problems!!! The only problem I did have and it was my fault...... was order portraits with out money in hand. I would have someone call with a re-order or a small order and I would have an order going out already that day for other customers. I would think.... I will just pay for this little order, send it out and then get my money when the order comes in. Thinking it would just be easier, but would end up with not just one of those little orders sitting around but 5 or 6 that added up to big orders. While you might think it's not that big of a deal on your end, I am on the business end. I have to remember scheduling, working on proofs, working on orders to go out, sort orders that come in, call customers to pick up orders, answering emails full of questions and when you think your the only one that owes for an order, I might be dealing with 5 of them. So to eliminate sticky notes everywhere to call people to "pay me back" for their order.....................

I can not and will not order any portraits with out half of the amount in hand this year!

Ordering pictures are no different than going anywhere to buy something... you have to pay for anything you buy. I am not treated any differently just because this is my business... I have to deal with another business to order any pictures and they don't let me owe them.

So I can not order pictures with out money in hand and I truly hope this doesn't offend anyone... I have had lots of great customers!!!! This just seemed to be a problem last year and as I said before, it was my fault. I should have been more strict about payment, but when you think you're being nice, some people just take advantage of it. I now have pictures sitting around that I have paid for that no one ever claimed from last year. It is my money is going to be thrown in the trash because these are not pictures I wanted.

So please understand, I am going to be more strict about payment for services for 2009 and hopefully it will eliminate one of my headaches.